Friday, October 19, 2007

A Quickie...


I know I'm waaaay late to the scene, but the other night I finally watched Fight Club all the way through.

Ummm.....what da fugg was that movie about?

I'd seen in it in bits and pieces, but that movie is absolutely ridiculously. Not in a bad way. In a it-gives-me-the-creeps-and-makes-me-feel-slightly-uncomfortable way.

Ed Norton has been off the scene for a minute, but I forgot how much he's that deal. Ever see American History X? Movie still gives me the chills and it's best script Guy Torre will ever get his hands on. Ed was just as strong in Primal Fear and 25th Hour, a completely overlooked masterpiece by Spike Lee. Also, it gave me another reason to hate Rosario Dawson's horribly beautiful ass.

Anyway, Fight Club was just freakin' bizarre. A psychotic rage against the machine orchestrated by a mentally ill sociopath. I hate movies that, at the end, I wonder...am I supposed to enjoy this? If I don't get this, does it make me stupid? Am I supposed to get deep and contemplative about this? Am I supposed to come up with a new meaning of life after this?

Felt the same way after I saw Monster's Ball. Was I supposed to find it depressing? Moving? Raw? Gritty? Was I wrong to laugh at the fat kid the whole movie? Should I not have found humor in the fact that you just can't make Halle Berry look ghetto?

Fight Club was weird.

4 comments:

SNM said...

The one redeeming factor about "Fight Club" is that Brad Pitt's in it, and he's shirtless.

I think I'm just going to erect a shrine in his honor...yum.

Southerner in Suomi said...

I think it's one of those movies where you just have to appreciate the plot twists.

As far as Monster's Ball, it was a movie where they wanted a bunch of neat plot twists and it was a bunch of weak typical changes.

Mysticalsoulman said...

Fight Club commented on the frustrations provoked by the banal existence many have in the US. Its supposed to make you feel uncomfortable, from the texture and visual experience to the biting and scathing dialogue. The plot twist, which was very well done, made everything else more intruiging...

I liked it b/c it takes people out of their comfort zone. "...The illusion of safety..." -Tyler Durden

don alberto said...

white people in there "PURIST" form!!!