Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Tiki To Black Women: I Really Ain't Feelin' Y'all


Call me paranoid, but I'm always somewhat leery if a black man makes a production out of being with a non-black woman.

It's not that I have a problem with interracial dating, but I do find it odd when a black man, in subtle and not-so subtle ways, announces: HEY Y'ALL, I REALLY DON'T LIKE BLACK WOMEN.

Tiki Barber, pro football player turned pundit, told Wendy Williams he ain't feeling the sistahs.

Well, sort of. Tiki is married to an Asian woman, and when Wendy, the notorious gossip hound, ribbed him about it, Tiki tried to 'splain himself by saying that where he grew up there wasn't a lot of black women. You know, the whole, they-weren't-around-so-I-had-no-idea-what-I-was-missing argument.

There is just one, teensy, tiny problem: Roanoke, where Tiki grew up, is 25 percent black.

Now, I got no problem with Tiki for who he's married to, but he sure seems to have a problem with it. If he didn't want to date black women, he just didn't. That's his choice. But if you are going to marry outside of your race, you don't need to make a show of justifying it. If you are, that only communicates to me that deep down in those places you won't talk about, you feel a little bit guilty about your choice of mate.

During this interview with Wendy, Tiki went on to try to "prove his blackness," by telling her his Swahili name. He also made sure to mention he was married to an Asian woman, that way Wendy and the rest of the black folks listening could see that while he wasn't married to someone who was black, he was at least still dabbling in the minority family.

Thanks, Tik-ster, we needed that. Now when we all convene for the next Fate of Black People annual meeting, we will be sure to take you off the sellout list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually Roanoke City might be 25% black, but where Tiki grew up was in Roanoke County and according to the census it's only 4.8% black, so maybe he was just telling it as it was...

Anonymous said...

Goodness sistah. I'm diggin the blog. Get em girl! You should have put me on a long time ago :p

I've always thought the same thing about announcing a particular preference. By doing so you are actually putting yourself on blast (to acquire the next ex)and publicly disrespecting the one you are currently with. It's kind of disgusting IMO and shows an ill regard for your mommas, brothas and sistahs too.