Monday, March 3, 2008

Chew On Dis


This is the best show ever put on television. But I don't want to get too wrapped up in a slurpfest, since the show is ending for good on Sunday. I know I'm likely to come here and rattle off a highly emotional post in which I blast punk-ass Hollywood for refusing to acknowledge how riveting, fantastic, realistic and well-written this series is. And before you ask, yes, it's better than the Sopranos.

Anyway, before I unleash a detailed eulogy of The Wire, let's put some shit in perspective. First, Season 5 of The Wire has been amazing. The last episode, the one before the series finale, probably featured one of The Wire's most powerful moments ever. I won't totally ruin it, but it takes place between Snoop and Michael in Snoop's SUV. These three words will stick with me forever: "You look good, girl." And I'll leave things there.
Meanwhile, over at BET.com, they've got a list of the top-10 moments on The Wire. I'm going to give you my own top-10, and also a proper burial of Omar, one of the best characters ever developed. A gay gangsta? Who would have thought? And maybe if I get motivated, I'll break down my 10 favorite episodes. But wrap your mind around BET's top-10 list and add your own thoughts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just imagine if they got the green light to make a Wire movie? Well, I guess maybe not since most everyone is gone. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed ....

PopCultman said...

Just saw the final episode (don't you just love the perks of working at a newspaper) and it was off the chain.

Anonymous said...

Never have seen it: I guess TV hasn't been much of a priority.
But, on your rec I'll look into picking up a DVD.