Thursday, June 21, 2007

Um, Tell Me If This Is A Wee-Bit Triflin....

As some of you know, black women go through a lot when it comes to their hair.

It's no secret black women routinely put up with lightweight, trifling behavior for a good 'do. Actually, women do that in general -- black, white or red. If a stylist is the bomb, she can put torsos in the crock pot -- just give us a good 'do.

I've blogged in the past about the African braiding shop I found in O-Town, which is about a quarter triflin'.

The first time I went to this place, a woman that was eight months pregnant did my hair. Straight up, I thought her water was going to burst! And she kept groaning because she was uncomfortable. Her feet were so swollen she asked me if she could rest them on my knee for relief. WTF? But I did need the hair done and pregnant-ass feet was a small price to pay considering the other trials I've gone through to get my hair done.

And then there was the whole "Nigerian Beyonce" thang....




This right here is the rage in Ghanian soaps. Main character's name is Beyonce, and she's the daughter of some king and she's a real BEE-YOTCH. She burned this chick's face with acid for messing with her man. It was deep. Anyway, I was subjected to several hours of this miniseries because it was all the African braiders had as entertainment.

NE-whoo...so it's finally time to get the braids taken down and re-braided. I stopped by the shop and the woman that did my hair told me that she can take my braids down, but on one condition...

I had to pick her and her baby up from the doctor.

Now, it's one thing to be subjected to horrible-ass Ghana soaps. It's one thing to be subjected to food that smells like toes and asphalt (don't know what they were cooking when I was there last, but that shit smelled abominable). It's one thing to have to stare at pregnant-ass feet for six hours.

But picking you and your baby up from the doctor?

WTF????

Am I the baby daddy?

Do I look like a taxi service?

But damn, I did want the 'do did...

OK, so I said yes. But it didn't wind up going down because of some scheduling conflicts I had. I tell you, forget a pimp, it's hard out here for a black woman trying to get her hair down.

1 comment:

SNM said...

Shit, you're right. At least your hairdresser answers the phone.