Thursday, July 19, 2007

50 Cent to Rap Audience: You Stupid


I knew it was a reason I didn't like this dude. And not just because everytime I see him, I want to yell, "Yo 'Roid Head, LL Cool J called, he wants his career back!"

Every reason I dislike Fidee is laid out in this Q & A he did with XXL, a hip-hop magazine. According to Fidee, the reason Nas -- one of my favorite rappers -- has fallen off is for one, obvious reason.

He reads too much.

Says Fidee: "For instance, Nas is a really smart guy. He reads books constantly. We were around him on the Nastradamus tour. He was almost weirder than me ’cause we would go to breakfast and he’d be there reading a book. Conceptually, I think that’s what made him drift away from what his initial audience enjoys from him and why he’s not hot right now."

The interviewer, thankfully, followed up.

Interviewer: Because he reads too much?

Fidee: Yes. He’s feeding you too much information in the music and they don’t actually want it. He’s like a teacher. I was in love with KRS-One when he came with “Criminal Minded” and “The Bridge Is Over.” That was theme music to what was going on at that time. And when he started teaching, he lost them. ’Cause it was like, “What is he talkin’ about?”

Basically, Fidee is saying all his fans are fucking stupid and they aren't interested in rappers who are informed. This is Exhibit A of what's wrong with da Hip Hop. It's a dumbed-down product, and one of the biggest-selling artists in the game admits that rap audiences are too stupid to know any better.

Fidee's a dickhead, but he's right. For whatever reason, people enjoy his music and now I know why. Peep these lyrics from Bitch, Get In My Car:

I got no pickup lines
I stay on the grind
I tell the hoes all the time
Bitch get in my car (Bitch get in)
I got my 64, ridin' on Dayton spokes
And when I open that do'
Bitch get in my car

Thank you, Fidee, you are awarded no points and we're all stupider for having digested that.

It's not just the hip-hop culture, it's American culture, period. Most of us don't want to think. We prefer homogenized crap. I'm certainly guilty of that sometimes. I love action movies, not foreign films with subtitles. But every Die Hard movie I see is balanced by the five Law & Order episodes I watch each day. I also love The Wire, the best-written show ever.

But right about now, if you've got a Fidee record, you need to burn that shit and get your ass a library card.

2 comments:

PopCultman said...

Chris Rock: "Niggas don't read! Books is like kyrptonite to a nigga."

Southerner in Suomi said...

speak the troof and shame the "devil!!"

my granma used to say that. it def. applied here.